DIVORCE IS INTENSE
Few experiences in life can match it for stress and emotion, but at the same time, as you are going through it, you’re required to think through important decisions about complex legal and financial issues.
- Do you really know the full picture of the assets that you and your partner own?
- How are they going to be divided fairly?
- Will you have enough income to provide for yourself and your children?
- Can you afford to keep your house?
- What about future needs? College for the kids? Retirement funds?
- What happens to your health insurance coverage when the divorce is final?
- Could you be surprised by a tax bill?
- What is inflation going to do to your settlement 10-15 years from now?
Very few people have the expertise to work through all these issues. Divorce Attorneys provide an invaluable service for the legal process of divorce, but are rarely equipped to guide their clients through the financial minefield.
Below is how we support Divorce Attorneys prepare for their divorce cases:
- Collecting and analyzing data regarding the assets and liabilities of both spouses;
- Preparing Financial Affidavits as well as pre- and post-divorce budgets;
- Calculating the short-term and long-term effects of dividing property;
- Helping clients avoid tax traps;
- Analyzing pension and retirement plans;
- Determining the cost basis and capital gains on the sale of the marital home;
- Determining if our client can afford to keep the marital home, and if not, what he/she can afford;
- Evaluating the insurance needs of our clients;
- Determining earning capabilities and actual income (in the case of self-employed spouses);
- Discuss options for your post-divorce estate planning needs;
- Present evidence to show the financial impact of different settlement options – or information related to financial, tax, investment, or retirement plan issues – in meetings with our clients, the attorneys, in mediation or arbitration sessions, or in court.
YOU NEED AN EXPERT FRIEND IN YOUR CORNER
Humphrey is a divorce survivor. His own experience became the motivation for him to take all the additional training required to become a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst® (CDFA™). He has completed extensive specialized training, and is passionate about helping others who are going through the nightmare of divorce to avoid the many financial obstacles and pitfalls along the way.
In April 2014, the Brownsville Herald ran a story on this important service, which Humphrey is the first to bring south of San Antonio. Read the story here.
To find out more about this service, visit Thomas Divorce Advisors, LLC